Connecting schools in Shanghai to promote, inspire and collaborate around service and sustainability
We aim to:
· Connect schools to create a strong Shanghai service learning network
· Build a powerful network that can serve as a model for other cities and regions across the globe
· Equip educators with tools for meaningful service learning through professional development, sharing best practices and resources
· Build bridges between student-initiated and student-directed service projects to widen impact and scope across the city
· Collaborate with schools across the city to foster cooperation rather than competition
· Highlight the common and foundational thread of service across a variety of curricula and educational philosophies (For ex.: IB, AP, British, American, other)
· Equip our students across Shanghai to be active global citizens and understand sustainable solutions
· Model servant leadership
"Service learning thrives in a community of students, educators and schools. We established such a group in Los Angeles over 20 years ago, and see the benefits as we all gather several times a year to learn and grown together. The Shanghai Service and Sustainability Network is occurring at an ideal time, when we have a groundswell of engagement in our schools about real world issues that matter. Count me as a member!"
Cathryn Berger Kaye, MA
"In terms of service and sustainability (i.e. those ideas central to the UN Global Goals), we must work together, collaborate and share ideas, resources and solutions. These areas are beyond competition for if we combine our efforts we can benefit everyone, not just those in our schools but those in our communities and in the wider world beyond."
Director of Global Citizenship,
Dulwich College Shanghai Pudong
"As educators in the 21st century, we have the opportunity to equip and train our students to be changemakers in a complex, dynamic world. If we can inspire our students to seek sustainable ways of living and to respond to real needs in the world, we will have achieved something worthwhile and powerful. Service Learning is a way for us to equip students to be this type of thoughtful global citizen."
Service Learning Coach, Concordia International School Shanghai